This is a flow-up to my preparation post and before I have my biopsy results. I just wanted to share how things went and what I know now.
I woke at 5AM and spent about an hour psyching myself up to drink the other 1/2 gallon of Colyte colon prep drink. I didn’t drink more than 16 oz because my bowel out-put was clear by 7am. I had signs of dehydration at this point. My pulse was higher, my breathing was more rapid and shallow, and I was dizzy. Weirdly, I had more energy than before, which tells me my diet sucked and cleaning out everything was great because I get a fresh start.
My husband and daughter went with me to my appointment and I didn’t have that long of a wait at all. When I went back to my room, I removed everything but my bra and socks and put on a gown. The nurse came in to get my medical history and another tried to start my IV. My right arm, behind my elbow was attempted first. The got blood to come out, but I was too dehydrated to get in-put. My hand was worse, no veins would pop up and it hurt like hell trying to get it in. The anesthesiologist nurse came in and got one in my inner wrist. She used Lidocaine first to numb my arm which made it so much easier.
When I reached the procedure room, I was told to lay on my left side and a bite plate thing with a hole in it was inserted into my mouth and strapped to my head. The nurse then told me I was about to go to sleep and, before I knew it, the room was spinning and I was out.
I woke up in the recovery room to the sound of my nurse and husband. I was told everything went well and they had some findings to talk to me about. I am going to just type them below, but they scared me until I called today to find out more what’s going on.
2mm Sessile polyp on the rectum. Removed with cold biopsy forceps.
Fixed Sigmoid Colon
Random biopsies obtained throughout the colon.
Antral Ulceration 2X6mm clean based with surrounding erythema and edema (redness and water)
Antral erosions (3 of them) 1-2mm each
Antral and duodenal bulb patchy erythema (this means those areas are inflamed)
Esophageal Concentric rings and linear furrows (eosinophilic esophagitis)
GEJ Polyp-like leasion- 5mm biopsies obtained with cold biopsy forceps (doesn’t state removed so I guess it’s still there).
Distal Eosphagitis – LA grade B One (or more) mucosal break more than 5 mm long that does not extend between the tops of two mucosal folds. (This is just GERD)
I know that’s a lot of information. It freaked me out at first until I called the clinic back and asked a ton of questions.
Questions I asked and Answers:
- Do I have Crohn’s, celiac disease, or Ulcerative Colitis? Answer: The biopsies will be back in a week or two and they will show if I do or not.
- Is there any surgery I can have to correct the esophagus issues or for the Diverticulosis? Answer: No, not unless the colon get’s worse or any pockets perforate the bowel. The goal is to reduce the acid in your stomach so no further esophagus erosion occurs and it can heal. With the bowel, the goal is to keep you from flaring and becoming worse or infected by avoiding constipation at all costs.
- Is this GEJ Polyp cancer? Answer: usually not, we see that a lot in patients with Esophagitis. The biopsy results will show for sure and the doctor is very good about contacting patients right away if there is a problem.
- Does a fixed sigmoid colon keep me from having a normal bowel movement? answer: No, it just doesn’t move around as much. You should be fine.
- Should I start taking 2 swallows of Flonase twice a day like before? Answer: It would not hurt to do that. Please make sure to take the Protonix 40mg twice a day on top of that.
My take on everything was overwhelming at first. But, after doing much research today, I have come up with this plan:
- Obviously take my medications as prescribed for the GERD and Eosinophilic Esophigitis. I bought the Flonase today and am getting the Protonix ASAP. I took a Prilosec until I can get the other.
- I don’t drink already, but I now can’t take Nsaid pain relievers because they cause more damage and have been damaging my digestive system. I will have to see what is safe for me to take for my arthritis and hidradenitis pain.
- The thought of taking pills makes me shudder right now because my esophagus is so swollen and it hurts where they took all the biopsies. Even so, I know that taking Proton pump inhibitors cause calcium and magnesium deficiencies over time. I will be taking a calcium, magnesium, and multi-vitamin supplement in the afternoon to keep this from happening.
- I can’t get constipated! I am going to drink 8, 8 oz glasses of water or more (it takes a lot of fluids to wash my food down anyway from all the swelling). I will be following these two diets: GERD Diet and High Fiber Diet
- NO SMOKING!!!!
- I have to exercise every day. #1 to drop 70 pounds and #2 to keep bowels moving.
- I am looking into CBD oil to help with pain and anxiety without NSAIDS or prescription pills.
- I just have to trust God that everything will be ok.
Right now, I need rest and to just spend some time not thinking about thinks for a while.